Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect

There are many potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none of these gases are as hazardous as carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide could be a matter of life and death, so it’s not something to joke about. Part of the reason it is so dangerous is because the gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can filtrate its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how big the leak is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can become fatal in a matter of minutes, or the gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

There is no reason to risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some steps you can take:

  1. If you do not currently have a carbon monoxide detector in your house, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one. Ask our experts about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect.
  2. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, be sure to regularly check or replace the batteries. Testing should be done every three months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
  3. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start having some of the symptoms listed above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps your family can be protected from the hazardous gas. Take the necessary steps and call Service Experts at 866-397-3787 to learn more.