Based on 1 Reviews :: Read Reviews
Expert Service, Guaranteed!
| Home //Sam's Blog // January 2013 // About Federal HVAC Tax Credits For 2013
  • Share

About Federal HVAC Tax Credits For 2013

The renewed "25C" tax credit for 2013 allows homeowners to get up to $500 in tax credits when installing qualified home improvements. Depending on their eligibility, homeowners may qualify for tax credits equal to 10% of the costs (up to $300) for qualifying new high efficiency central air conditioners, heat pumps or hot water heaters.

Homeowners may qualify for additional tax credits equal to 10% of the costs (up to $150 limit) for installing qualified furnaces or boilers. A smaller tax credit of 10% of the installed costs (up to $50 limit) is available for installing a system with an advanced main air circulating fan.

  • A central air conditioner must meet or exceed 16 SEER and 13 EER; package system central air conditioners must meet or exceed 14 SEER and 12 EER.
  • A heat pump must meet or exceed 15 SEER and 12.5 EER and 8.5 HSPF. Package heat pump systems must meet or exceed 14 SEER and 12 SEER and 8 HSPF.
  • Natural gas furnaces, propane furnaces, natural gas hot water boilers, propane boilers, oil furnaces, and oil hot water boilers must meet or exceed 95% AFUE.
  • For the advanced main air circulating fan credit, the fan must use no more than 2% of the furnace’s total energy. If the fan is qualified, but the furnace is not.
  • There is a lifetime residential energy tax credit limit of $500, retroactive to January 1, 2005.
The IRS is expected to release more information soon about how to file a claim. For more information on this or any HVAC tax credits or rebates, contact Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for a free consultation.

Service Experts
Yes, both units would qualify, but only up to the $500 total credit cap. You would enter the purchase information on lines 7-10 (total cost for both). Please check with a qualified CPA if you need further help with filing. More information and answers are also available here:
5/23/2013 9:12:55 AM

Barry Segel
On May 4,2013 I installed 2 New Heat Pumps in My Primary Home. Both Models qualify for the Federal Tax Credit extension for 2013, My question is: am I allowed to take credit for both units? If so, how do I report this. I have looked at IRS Form 5695 and there is no place to list this info.
5/18/2013 1:40:42 PM

Service Experts
Answers to your questions and others have been posted here:

You can also call us at 1-866-397-3787 for more information or for your free estimate for tax credit-qualifying heating and air conditioning systems.
2/8/2013 8:20:12 AM

Elizabeth DeCarolis
How far back does this rebate go.........2 years....3 years....4 years???
2/6/2013 8:06:05 PM

John Altfeltis
We had a new, 80% effiency furnace installed in our home in 2012 and by Service Experts .. Will this qualify for a tax credit? Thank you
1/29/2013 6:49:51 AM

LaVerne Miller
Go to and look for F5695 . The form name is "Residential Energy Credits". It explains how to file for the credits
1/29/2013 2:37:52 AM

Stan Cardwell
I had a new system installed in 2010 and got a tax credit for it. Do I qualify for another tax credit for the other system I purchased ast year?
1/28/2013 12:40:06 PM

Service Experts
Great questions. Some of the details on the credit have just been made available so we will publish another blog post this week that will help you understand what to do step by step.

If you are using Tax preparation software, there should be a step included that accounts for tax credits on energy efficient home improvements for 2012. That is where you will enter the required information. We strongly suggest after completing online software having a certified CPA review the documents to ensure accuracy.
1/28/2013 9:22:15 AM

Kevin Gordon
We purchased a new water heater and furnace this past year and need to know if we would qualify for these tax credits. What do we need to do to find out if we qualify and what information do we need to have to prove we do qualify if we do indeed.
Kevin Girdin
1/28/2013 12:56:48 AM

J. Scott Simpson
Responding to your tax rebate e-mail. You put in 2 new units for us in November 2012. Do we qualify for additional rebates? If so, what do we need to do? Thank you very much.
1/27/2013 1:39:34 PM

does an electric baseboard heater for a single room included in the tax credit?
1/24/2013 11:12:38 AM

Bill Beirne
I purchased a system from BW in December,2012 am I eligible for tax credit?
1/24/2013 10:14:12 AM

Dave Carlton
Had a/c heat pump and furnace I/s 2012. How do we know if qualified?
1/24/2013 8:31:30 AM

Service Experts installed a new heating and cooling system in our home this month. Do we qualify for a tax credit?

Lloyd W. Irvan
1/23/2013 6:31:03 PM

Bob Hargraves
We has new systems installed late summer of 2012. Will we qualify and if so how do we go about claiming.
1/23/2013 12:19:32 PM

Olivia E. Brown
I had insulation installed on Feb. 17, 2012. Will I qualify for a tax credit?

Thank you,

Olivia Brown
1/23/2013 8:28:28 AM

Theresa Crump
We also had Service Experts replace our old system with a new heat pump in 2012. We would like to know our eligibility for a tax credit.
1/22/2013 7:02:31 PM

Roosevelt S. Smith
Yes I had a new A/C system put into my house in 2012.
1/22/2013 6:38:50 PM

Roosevelt S. Smith
Yes I had a new heating and Air Condition system in early 2012.
1/22/2013 6:36:02 PM

John Brammer
Service Experts installed a new Lennox A/C system in my home mid-summer 2012. What do I neeed to do to claim this tax break ? John Brammer
1/22/2013 6:30:34 PM

ray penticost
we had Service Experts install a new a/c as well as a new heating system early 2012
Do we qualify for a tax break?
1/22/2013 6:29:28 PM

Georgann Dellin
You installed a new furnace/AC in our house May 2012.
Will be get a tax break?????

G. Delling
1/22/2013 4:18:12 PM

Reiner Kirsten
we had Service Experts install a new a/c as well as a new heating system early 2012
Do we qualify for a tax break?
R. Kirsten
1/22/2013 3:27:22 PM