Winter months in North America are near. In fact, the months of October through February have a record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances happening throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, schedule an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter arrives.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners know that their furnace could give off deadly carbon monoxide gas, but more than half don't do anything to prevent it from taking place.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be quite harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be thought of as the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that utilizes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to discharge carbon monoxide if the system is not running as it should be or if it wasn’t installed appropriately.
Your annual furnace service company can help find any troubling concerns. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Ensure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Inspect for any other weird things that may compromise your safety
- Help you uncover any additional areas where you may want to consider adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is working at its peak efficiency, helping provide peace-of-mind that you’re in a great spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to keep in mind that many furnace manufacturers may require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the team at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 866-397-3787 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the winter months.