Tips to Safely Heat Your Home This Winter
Every year over 20,000 people visit the emergency room due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is given off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the winter months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep you safe, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing is here with a few tips to safety heat your home.
- Install a CO detector on every floor of your home and replace the batteries annually.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, at least three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, always check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Turn off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like ceramic tile. Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, purchase a model that shuts off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Never use a cooking range to heat your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned every year.
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to make sure it’s not only ready to keep you warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your heating tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing will check to make sure your furnace is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 866-397-3787 today and learn how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.
Zoning Systems: Customized Comfort in Every Room
Central heating and air conditioning systems have revolutionized home comfort and made it possible to stay perfectly comfortable in any season or climate. But while centralized systems are a convenient way to control the temperature, they sometimes fall short when it comes to evenly distributing... Continue reading
Eight Common Heating Myths Debunked
There are plenty of myths out there about home heating that lead to confusion and inefficient furnace operation. It’s time to set the record straight. Here, the heating specialists at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing debunk the eight most common myths to keep your home... Continue reading
Eight Ways to Upgrade Your HVAC System
During the coldest time of the year in the U.S., there’s no better way to enhance your home’s comfort than with a few effective upgrades. It’s not just about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about enhancing efficiency and improving the very air you breathe.... Continue reading