Prevention is the most essential place to start. Completing appropriate safety precautions will decrease your chances of carbon monoxide poisoning in North America.
Here are a couple steps you can take to keep your family protected:
- Warm up your car out of your garage. Cars are a significant source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so do not leave yours going in the restricted space of a garage. The same is true for gas equipment such as lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t run ovens or grills as heaters. These appliances are safe when used right but can make carbon monoxide when used for an extended period of time in small spaces.
- Don’t operate a gas generator indoors, because it produces fumes.
- Have your chimney inspected by a specialist. This ensures chimneys and vents aren’t blocked and connected appropriately.
- Confirm gas appliances are operating correctly, particularly your heater. You can ensure efficient, safe operation by booking routine furnace maintenance with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning.