What can be done to protect my home from carbon monoxide?
Prevention is the most essential place to start. Completing appropriate safety precautions will decrease your chances of carbon monoxide poisoning in North America.
Here are a couple steps you can take to keep your family protected:
- Warm up your car out of your garage. Cars are a significant source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so do not leave yours going in the restricted space of a garage. The same is true for gas equipment such as lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t run ovens or grills as heaters. These appliances are safe when used right but can make carbon monoxide when used for an extended period of time in small spaces.
- Don’t operate a gas generator indoors, because it produces fumes.
- Have your chimney inspected by a specialist. This ensures chimneys and vents aren’t blocked and connected appropriately.
- Confirm gas appliances are operating correctly, particularly your heater. You can ensure efficient, safe operation by booking routine furnace maintenance with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning.