What Happens When You Don’t Change Your Furnace’s Air Filter
One of the most common issues that we encounter at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing in the U.S. is dirty air filters. They can seem like a very small piece of the overall home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us maintain comfort is a lot bigger than most homeowners realize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a clogged air filter can cause a number of issues for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you forget to change your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you might encounter:
- Decreased airflow. This is easily the largest issue you’ll notice when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being changed, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this inhibits air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working significantly harder to provide you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is working harder because of a dirty air filter, you also run the risk of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s working overtime to provide you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a possibility if your air filter goes unchanged for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something breaks or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off excessively. When your system short cycles, it may overheat or break down from the added work, potentially causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shorter equipment lifecycle
- Lower energy efficiency
- Diminished air quality
- Increase in dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last changed your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avert any potential damage that might come with a clogged air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the variety of air filters available, give Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing a call at 866-397-3787 or schedule an appointment online.
Zoning Systems: Customized Comfort in Every Room
Central heating and air conditioning systems have revolutionized home comfort and made it possible to stay perfectly comfortable in any season or climate. But while centralized systems are a convenient way to control the temperature, they sometimes fall short when it comes to evenly distributing... Continue reading
Eight Common Heating Myths Debunked
There are plenty of myths out there about home heating that lead to confusion and inefficient furnace operation. It’s time to set the record straight. Here, the heating specialists at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing debunk the eight most common myths to keep your home... Continue reading
Eight Ways to Upgrade Your HVAC System
During the coldest time of the year in the U.S., there’s no better way to enhance your home’s comfort than with a few effective upgrades. It’s not just about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about enhancing efficiency and improving the very air you breathe.... Continue reading