Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is working? There's likely something wrong with your AC. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to significant—and expensive—problems eventually. We're going to help you figure out what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to correct it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling usually indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can't determine where the noise is coming from, that's alright. An expert can help verify where this noise is occurring. You can find more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can produce noise inside your house. Read our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be created by a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Peruse our hissing noise guide for more info.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue. Read our buzzing noise guide for further information.
- Clicking - Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can check out more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can come from a loose part. Check out our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A noticeable noise from your outdoor unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Look at our loud noise guide for more information.
- Humming - Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a broken relay switch. Head to our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find additional information about common air conditioning problems on energy.gov
Should I keep using my system when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's almost impossible to answer this question without inspecting your system.
In most cases, we recommend shutting down the unit off and contacting a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there's something wrong with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected expense, it's better to get problems corrected right away. Contacting a professional could help minimize future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.